Monday, November 14, 2016

Persephone Book Haul

Biannually, Persephone Books adds a few new additions to their collection.  In April of 2016, they republished their spring books: The Godwits Fly, by Robin Hyde; A Lady and Her Husband by Amber Reeves; and Maman, What Are We Called Now by Jacqueline Mesnil-Amar.  I ordered Maman a few months after its release; it seemed to ring similar bells to what I loved about Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - the firsthand experiences of French citizens during the Nazi occupation.

On the 19th of October, Persephone released their fall selections.  Madame Solario by Gladys Huntington, Long Live Great Bardfield by Tirzah Garwood, and a new collection of short stories by Dorothy Whipple called Every Good Deed and Other Stories.  As someone who loves Dorothy Whipple's novels, I was excited to see a new bind-up of her stories, and decided it was high time to place my transatlantic order.

Living on the East Coast of the US, once I see the "Persephone Books: Shipment" email appear in my inbox, I know that my order will be delivered exactly one week later.  It's like clockwork!  The three envelopes that arrived hold the promise of weeks of delicious, reading pleasure...


The Closed Door and Other Stories by Dorothy Whipple 


(Persephone's first published Whipple collection)

Every Good Deed and Other Stories by Dorothy Whipple 


(Persephone's second published Whipple collection)

An Interrupted Life: The Diaries and Letters of Etty Hillesum 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum

(a diary kept in the time frame and city as Anne Frank's famous diary, except that Etty Hillesum was in her late 20's)




I can't wait to cosy up with a snugly blanket and a mug of tea, and read these books!




Librorum annis