Thursday, May 4, 2017

My Indie Bookstore Day

It just so happened that the weekend my partner and I were in New York City was the same weekend of Independent Bookstore Day.  I only get to the city once or twice a year, so with the whole of Manhattan at my fingertips, I knew that I had to visit a few bookshops.  I almost always pop into The Strand, because it's so huge and full of nooks and crannies that are just perfect for browsing, but this time I decided to seek out other indie bookstores.  Of course, there were so many that I wanted to visit, but just didn't have the time.  Here is a rundown of my bookish adventures:

Posman Books, Chelsea Market


In the hustle and bustle of Chelsea Market - chocked full of restaurants, tourist shops, craft stalls, Food Network - there exists the bright and modern Posman Books outpost.  It's actually a bit cavernous, with low ceilings and a long space, giving shoppers the impression that it goes on and on and on...and I wish that it did.  Especially inviting was the whistle seat in the children's section, which is at the very back of the store.  If there hadn't been a pre-teen curled up there reading, I might've tried to squeeze my adult self into it.  Maybe next time.

The store is clearly and conveniently laid out, with tables of books in the front, organized into neat stacks, and more books on shelves against the wall.  In fact, my clumsy self was very conscious of those tables, with books stacked many volumes tall, for fear of knocking them to the floor.  I had visions of myself bumping into a stack, and sending an entire table of books to the floor, like displays of navel oranges in a grocery store.  Thankfully the store wasn't too packed, and I (and the books) survived unscathed. 

Housing Works Bookstore & Cafe, SoHo


Part of the Housing Works charity organization, this bookshop sells new and used books, movies, and music; hosts a diverse array of literary and community events; and provides employment and volunteering opportunities.  The space is large and very inviting, with dark wood shelves, spiral staircases and plentiful lighting.  In fact, it looks just like my dream home library.  This is a place I could easily spend all day browsing, and I hope to someday be in town to attend one of their events.  

There is a cafe in the back that sells coffee, tea, baked goods, sandwiches, beer and wine, and other tasty treats.  It was a very hot day when we stopped in, and we were grateful for the free water dispenser.  All of the proceeds from the bookstore and cafe go back to the philanthropy, so giving them your money is good for you and the community.  An added perk was that all items were 30% off for Indie Bookstore Day, so I definitely didn't walk out of there empty handed.

The aims of Housing Works are to end the plights of HIV/AIDS and homelessness through advocacy, entrepreneurial businesses, and community services.  Read more about Housing Works here.

McNally Jackson Books, SoHo


Literally just around the corner from Housing Works is McNally Jackson Books, a modern and crisply organized bookshop, with an unbelievable range of books.  There are extensive Staff Picks, a whole shelf devoted to chapbooks, and even a hilariously tongue-in-cheek section of recommendations by contentious political figures.  My favorite was Steve Bannon recommending Sinclair Lewis' satirical, anti-fascist novel It Can't Happen Here with "challenge accepted".


I was gobsmacked by the depth and breadth of international and translated works that are stocked at McNally Jackson, organized by country/area of origin, making it incredibly simple to choose books from just about anywhere around the world.  The bookshop also has a full-service cafe and hosts a wide variety of events.  There are also quite a few autographed copies of books available, so if that's your fancy you would be many options from which to choose. 

Three Lives Books & Company, Greenwich Village


Walking into Three Lives & Co. is like passing through a portal into another world - civilized world, where calm and sensibility prevail.  The city melts away and you're in a piece of heaven, with dark wood shelves, exposed brick, and a masterfully curated library.  My ideal of what a bookstore can be, and a true gem in this neighborhood.  Despite its small size, I could easily spend hours perusing the shelves and finding books I've never seen before and can't possibly live without.  There are works from small presses, interesting editions of classic books, and thoughtful collections of poetry, among many other books.  There's no coffee, no food (although someone had brought in a plate of brownies for Indie Bookstore Day), just books books books! 




I had a really fantastic time, visiting some new-to-me bookshops around Manhattan.  There are so many more that I want to visit, the next time I have a weekend in the city, but I can't help but think I'll be back to visit some of these as well.  I just love how each shop is curated and arranged so that it has a personality and character all its own.  Everyone, go out (or go online) and support independent bookshops!  As for the books I truly couldn't live without, here they are:

  • Six Decades at Yaddo by John Cheever, Malcolm Cowley, Eleanor Clark, Alfred Kazin, Hortense Calisher, Gail Godwin - Six authors provide brief, personal essays of their time spent at the artist's retreat Yaddo in Saratoga Springs, NY.  I spent a few years in Saratoga Sprints, and visited the beautiful Yaddo gardens often.  While I doubt I'll ever be accepted for a residency there, the colony is a place that will always be fascinating to me (Yaddo)
  • The Little Buddhist Monk & The Proof by Cesar Aira, translated by Nick Caistor - Two short stories in one book, comparing East and West.  The cover photo is of a pile of french fries, so how can it be bad!  This will be my first Aira, and I'm so excited to dive in. (New Directions)
  • Notes on My Dunce Cap by Jesse Ball - A revolutionary pedagogical text, encouraging the reader to re-think traditional, hierarchical power structures in the classroom.  I'm planning on reading this in tandem with a re-read of bell hook's Teaching to Transgress, for my own classroom use. (Pioneer Works)
  • Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski - If I see a Persephone Books edition out in the wild, and I don't already own it, there's a good chance I'll pick it up.  That's the case with this one - a used Persephone Classics edition that is in fantastic shape. (Persephone Books)
  • Such Small Hands by Andres Barba, translated by Edmund White - Not a book about Donald Trump, in case you were wondering!  Mariana arrives at the orphanage, very different from the other girls, and has difficulty finding acceptance.  The story is told, alternately, from Mariana's perspective and from a collective chorus of the other orphanage girls. (Transit Books)
  • Olio by Tyehimba Jess - Pulitzer Prize-winning poetry collection that incorporates song, story, fact, and narrative to talk about African American entertainers who worked during the Civil War era through World War 1. (Wave Books)



Did you visit any bookshops during Independent Bookstore Day?  Which did you visit, and what books did you find?




Librorum annis,