Monday, June 12, 2017

The TBR Tag

The idea of a mountainous To Be Read (TBR) Pile is nothing new to those readers among us who keep a lot of books around us.  Unless you are a power reader, prefer a small library, or are someone who reads books as soon as they're obtained, it's likely that at least a few books on your shelves (whether owned or borrowed) are unread.  It's with this thought in mind that I decided to approach the TBR Tag.  Co-originated by book bloggers "Diana Square" and A Perfection Called Books, it consists of 12 questions whose answers come from among the TBR books.


How do you keep track of your TBR pile?

In my head?  I don't shelve unread books separately, nor do I keep a list of them anywhere.  On my LibraryThing account (a book cataloging tool that I HIGHLY recommend), if I've read a book it gets a star and a review.  So, if a book doesn't have either of those things in its listing, then I could assume that it's on my TBR.  I can look at my books and immediately tell whether or not I've read it, and that works pretty well for me.

What is a book on your TBR pile with a beautiful cover?

Pachinko, by Min Jin Lee.  It has a closeup graphic of a Pachinko machine, in these beautiful pastel shades.  From afar, it almost looks like intricate fabric.  So beautiful!

Is your TBR mostly physical books, digital books, or audiobooks?

Well, that depends on your definition of TBR.  To me, it explicitly includes books that I have purchased/downloaded in the public domain and have not read yet.  Therefore, library books or other borrowed materials do not count.  As I get 100% of my audiobooks on CD from my local libraries library or streaming via Hoopla, there are none on my TBR.

According to LibraryThing, out of the 1047 digital and physical books I've cataloged, a whopping 579 remain unread.  That's 55%.  Looking specifically at e-books, 205 out of the 435 books are unread.  Bringing this back to the total on my TBR, 35% of my unread books are digital, and 65% are physical.  So that's that, then.  More than half of my TBR is made up of physical books.

What book have you recently add to your TBR?

That would be Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami, which I won via an Instagram contest from the publisher, Europa Editions.

How do you determine which book from your TBR pile to read next?

This usually depends on what I have just finished reading.  Sometimes I'm inspired to read a series of books if I've just finished the first one.  Other times, I might have read a deeply depressing book and seek something less substantial - or vice versa.  Sometimes, inspiration comes not from other books but from current events, remembrances, or other milestone moments.  And, on more than one occasion, I've simply looked at my shelves, picked a book that I know I haven't read before, and read it.

Is there a book on your TBR that you never plan on reading?

I have a small collection of signed books, which I never plan to read, for fear of ripping the covers, damaging the spines, or getting them dirty.  I will, however, read digital versions.  One such book is Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride.

What book has been on your TBR pile the longest?

I purchased Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys when I was a freshman in college.  The college bookstore had a fantastic end-of-the-semester sales, and I could usually find a few interesting books for cheap, including this one.  I hadn't read its companion Jane Eyre until just this year, but had heard so many good things about the story that I figured I should pick it up.  I've been graduated and gone from college almost 15 years, so that tells you something about how long this book has been with me.

What book on your TBR are you most dying to read?

Sometime this month I'm planning to dive into Yuri Herrera's translated works Signs Preceding the End of the World and The Transmigration of Bodies, not only because I've heard rave reviews of them but because he's doing a signing at a nearby bookstore at the end of the month.  He'll be promoting his new book, Kingdom Con, and I will be adding it to my TBR that day!

What is an unpublished book on your TBR that you're really excited to read?

I have an ARC of Autopsy of a Father by Pascale Kramer, the story of a French woman who tries to decipher the enigma that is her late father.  The book will be published on July 11th (USA) by Bellevue Literary Press.

What book on your TBR has everyone else read except you?

Without a doubt, this is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.  In fact, I've never read any of her work.  It comes so highly recommended and raved about that I feel like the last person to read it.

What TBR book has been recommended by lots of people?

Easily, this is Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.  It's such a modern classic, and she's such a fascinating writer, that I can't believe I haven't read it myself yet.

How many books are on your Goodreads TBR shelf?

I don't use Goodreads to keep track of unread books, so this answer would be zero.


Although this tag began way back in 2014, if you want to explore your own TBR - consider yourself tagged.  Enjoy!



Librorum annis,