Thursday, August 3, 2017

Some Books I've Acquired Over the Past Month or So

Since my last book haul at the end of May, I've gone on some literary excursions and perused some discount book sales...things that I dearly love to do.  As a result, I've added quite a few books to my shelves.  Let's have a look.


Book Outlet

Every so often, Book Outlet has a sale offering an additional 15% off the already tiny prices.  During the most recent occurrence, they also offered a $5 coupon, which essentially covered my shipping costs.  I picked up a few Pocket Penguin classics, the final volume of Ferrante that I didn't yet own, and a WW2 historical fiction work that I was really curious to read.
Walden, by Henry David Thoreau
The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka
The Lost Daughter, by Elena Ferrante
Mischling, by Affinity Konar


Politics & Prose

I made a trek to one of my best-loved bookstores, in order to meet one of my most-recent-favorite authors, Yuri Herrera.  When in a sprawling bookstore, what to do but pick up a few books?  I couldn't resist, especially since I found the copy of Jeanette Winterson's book for less than $2!
The Abridged History of Rainfall, by Jay Hopler
Nothing More to Lose, by Najwan Darwish
Christmas Days, by Jeanette Winterson


Folio Society

I've long admired these beautifully designed and illustrated tomes, but was never able to justify purchasing them because they're quite expensive.  High quality comes with a high price tag, which I don't begrudge, but my book budget doesn't have that much allowance.  However, I saw on social media that they were having a 50% sale, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to take a peek.
Cider for Rosie, by Laurie Lee
Beloved, by Toni Morrison


Midtown Scholar Bookstore

I know this is a massive amount of books.  In my defense, the bookstore had a mammoth tent sale, which happens only once a year, and I couldn't help myself...$2 for hardbacks and $1 for paperbacks is a very tempting price point!

The Virgin of the Seven Daggers, by Vernon Lee
The Circle Game, by Margaret Atwood
The Mother of All Questions, by Rebecca Solnit
Kid, by Simon Armitage
The Universal Home Doctor, by Simon Armitage
Quoof, by Paul Muldoon
Eve Green, by Susan Fletcher
Bus Poems, by Gary Aspenberg
Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn
The McSweeney's Joke Book of Book Jokes, by various contributors
Not to Disturb, by Muriel Spark
The Woman Warrior, by Maxine Hong Kingston
Gourmet Rhapsody, by Muriel Barbery
I Shall Not Be Moved, by Maya Angelou
Hyde Park Gate News: The Stephen Family Newspaper, by Virginia Woolf
Aftershocks: Stories, by Grete Weil
The Making of a Matriot, by Frances Adler
American Sublime, by Elizabeth Alexander
The Creation of Patriarchy, by Gerda Lerner


"The Internet"

These are all books that I either ordered online - having been unable to locate them in a physical bookshop, received from the publisher directly, or won via social media contests.  
The Child, by Pascal Kramer
The Ministry of Nostalgia, by Owen Hatherley
Oola, by Brittany Newell
The Nakano Thrift Shop, by Hiromi Kawakami



I'm going to hold back on any more book shopping for now, hopefully until September when I'll be heading back to Washington, DC for the National Book Festival.  We'll see how well that goes...




Librorum annis,