Thursday, November 9, 2017

The "Guilty Reader" Tag

As people who read books, and who others identify as readers, we are sometimes expected to behave in certain ways.  Maybe it's the about the books you tell people that you've read (whether you have or not), how you treat your physical books, or not reading certain types of books...it's all things that can make us readers feel a little guilty.  The questions in the "Guilty Reader" tag get at these kinds of things.  Honestly I feel no guilt whatsoever about my reading...I read what I like and what I'm interested in reading.  Simple as that.  Here are the questions!


Have you ever re-gifted a book that you were given?


Absolutely.  A few years ago, I had purchased a copy of Delicious Foods by James Hannaham after hearing about it on NPR. It's an amazing book about a young boy named Eddie, his drug addicted mother Darlene, and the Southern farm to where she is absconded and given alcohol and drugs in exchange for work.  This tale of family, race, and slavery features a unique character - Scotty, the fast talking, devilish voice to represent the crack cocaine to which Darlene is so addicted.  It's creative, hard hitting, but still funny.

I must have talked about it a bunch, because I was gifted a copy from a friend for the holidays that same year.  Because I had two copies, I had no problems re-gifting it to someone else who I thought would also enjoy it.  Otherwise, I can't remember re-gifting a book, probably because I'm picky when it comes to the editions and specific books that I want.  If someone's giving me a book, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it.


Have you ever said you have read a book, when in fact you hadn't?

I think this comes down to social/peer pressure of things you "should" do or "should" know.  I hate those "shoulds".  But, alas, I have been guilty of occasionally telling someone that I had read a book when I hadn't.  Many are from the Western Cannon.  Thinking about it now, honestly now I'm less wrapped up in feelings of commitment to reading The Cannon than I had been just a few years ago.  So, I'm less likely to feel I should lie about what I've read.  So here are just a few books that I haven't read:


Have you ever told someone you haven't read a book when you have?

I can't say that I've ever felt embarrassed/uncomfortable/shy about something that I've read, so that I wouldn't admit to it publicly.  However, our society definitely (and unfortunately) looks down on certain genres of books - romance, science fiction, and mystery among others - so that some readers may feel like they have to hide their reading from others.  I am hopeful that this is changing, albeit slowly.


Have you ever borrowed a book and not returned it?

Never!  And my deep concern about not getting back a book is why I don't loan out books, unless I'm 100% ok with not getting them back.


Have you ever read a book series out of order?

I honestly can't remember the last time I read a book series, in or out of order.


Have you ever spoiled a book for someone?

I try to be careful about this, and will make regular use of the "spoiler alert" warning when talking about a book with a major plot twist or a surprise ending.  I did, however, inadvertently ruin the ending of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, when talking about the forthcoming movie adaptation.


Have you ever dog-eared a book?

I'm a sticky-tab or bookmark reader, not a dog-ear reader.


Have you ever told someone you don't own a book when you do?

Nope.


Have you ever skipped a chapter/section of a book?

If I find myself doing this, it usually means that I'm not enjoying the book.  Once I realize that I've read a few pages, but don't remember anything about them, then I have to ask myself "why" and if I really want to keep reading the book.


Have you ever bad-mouthed a book you actually liked?

No!  I'm guessing that you might be inclined to do this if you were embarrassed about what you're reading, but you shouldn't!



That's it!  I guess I'm not such of a guilty reader after all, or at least I choose not to feel guilty when it comes to reading.



Librorum annis,