Thursday, October 20, 2016

Dewey's Readathon and TBR

Twice a year, in April and October, the 24-hour Dewey's Readathon takes place.  This Saturday, 22 October, is the next occasion.  The goal is to read as much as possible in a 24-hour span of time, and to share your reading updates with the rest of the Readathon community.  The hosts recommend filling your TBR pile with shorter books, so that you're not bogged down by anything too long and lose that loving feeling towards your reading.  In addition to the reading, sponsors donate prizes that are awarded via mini-challenges that happen randomly throughout the 24 hour span.  I'll be participating as a reader.

Sign up for the Readathon here!

I'm planning to do regular updates of my reading progress on Twitter and Instagram, and I'd love it if you would follow me!  My links are on the right-hand side of the blog page.  Also, if you have the app Litsy, I'd love to share readings there too! 

I live on the East Coast of the US, an my start time for the Readathon is 8:00am.  No matter where you live, across the globe, all Readathon-ers start at the same time, so check the Dewey's website for your time zone's starting time.  Because October 22nd is going to be a bit busy for me, I know that I won't be able to read for the entire 24-hour span.  Is that stopping me from participating?  Heck no!  After careful consideration, here are the books I'm putting on my Dewey's Readathon TBR:

  1. Maman, What Are We Called Now? by Jacqueline Mesnil-Amar
  2. The Woman's Bible by Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  3. A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid
  4. Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson
  5. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
  6. Maus Parts 1 & 2 by Art Spiegelman
  7. The Essential "Dykes to Watch Out For" by Alison Bechdel
As you might have noticed, this TBR is very graphic novel-heavy.  That's by design, since I'll need to make the most of my available reading time.  I can finish graphic novels quite quickly, although at over 400 pages, I expect that Alison Bechdel's Essential Dykes will take a bit of time to read in its entirety.  And this TBR furthers a goal of mine - to focus my reading, in the weeks before the US Presidential Election, toward issues of diversity, feminism, tolerance, and equality.

Are you participating in Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon?  I'd love to know what you're planning to read!



Librorum annis