Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Autumn Reading Tag

Autumn is most definitely my favorite season...cooler temperatures, a crispness in the air, cosy clothing, and a general slowing down.  Because of my autumn adoration, I thought it timely to take on the Autumn Reading Tag.  The tag was created by YouTuber Amy Jane Smith, and you can watch the original tag here.  I wasn't tagged by anyone, but I've enjoyed reading other blogger/vlogger responses to the questions so I decided to explore them myself!

Question 1: Are there any books that you're planning to read in the autumn season?

Actually, there are many!  I've borrowed copies of The Mothers by Brit Bennett and Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood from my local library, and am looking forward to reading them soon.  Of books I own, I'm really excited to start Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer, One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downes, and The Winds of Heaven by Monica Dickens.


Question 2: September brings back-to-school memories.  What book did you enjoy reading in school, and what were you most and least-favorite subjects of study?

There isn't a particular book that evokes memories from schooltime, but I did enjoy a lot of classics of the Western Cannon - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott; Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen; The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, and East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  My favorite subjects were English Literature and Psychology, and my least favorite subject was Geometry.


Question 3: October means Halloween.  Do you enjoy scary books and/or movies, and what are some of your favorites?

I tend to really enjoy dark, suspenseful books more so than gruesome or gory ones...Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes and Good as Gone by Amy Gentry come to mind.  I'm not much of a film watcher, and I especially don't enjoy horror movies.


Question 4: With November comes Bonfire Night and fireworks displays.  What is the most exciting book you've read that kept you gripped?

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead was tragic and gripping and exciting all at once!


Question 5: What book is your favorite cosy-comfort read?

When I'm in need of a book that works like a snuggly blanket on a cold day, I turn to something light and fun, like Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson


Question 6: Curled up with a good book, what's your hot drink of choice?

Tea!  There's a small tea shop near my workplace where I buy a loose-leaf cream earl grey that is unbelievably delicious with just a splash of milk.  If it's something herbal that I'm craving, I adore Tea Pigs Peppermint Licorice tea, or a loose-leaf organic chamomile with a squeeze of honey.


Question 7: Are there any plans you're looking forward to over the autumn season?

Apple-picking at the local orchard is a yearly tradition, from which I make a few apple pies and some pints of apple butter.  I keep some apple butter for my own enjoyment, and gift the rest to friends and family at holiday time.  It tastes heavenly when spread on fresh-baked bread!



If you are interested in considering your autumnal reading through these questions, consider yourself tagged!



Librorum annis