Thursday, September 21, 2017

The "Autumn Reading" Tag

Tomorrow is the first day of autumn, so it seemed like just the right time to contemplate some seasonal reading with the Autumn Reading Tag.  I did this same tag last year, as one of the very first posts on this blog, so I'm excited to see how my responses differ this year from last.  The tag was created by UK Booktuber Amy Jane Reads, and you can watch her video here.  Let's jump into a pile of leaves the tag questions!

Are there any books you plan on reading over the autumn season?


I recently picked up a copy of Jesmyn Ward's new novel, Sing Unburied Sing, which I am very excited to read.  Other than that, I'm going to let the spirit of my bookshelves direct me to what I read next!

September brings back-to-school memories.  What book did you most enjoy studying?  What were your most/least favorite school subjects?

It's been a hot minute since I was last in school, so it's hard to remember exactly what my favorite subject were.  I know that I liked psychology, English, history, and music classes.  I went on to study psychology in university, and used those skills in my master's degree in Adult Education.  I never had much talent for math, so that was definitely a least favorite.

October means Halloween.  Do you enjoy scary books and films?  If so, what are some of your favorites?

I'm not much of a fan of being scared in general, but I find that between the two I prefer scary books.  That way, I can use my mind's eye to create something as scary as I want, rather than being forced to see whatever the filmmakers decide I should see.  I haven't read any recently, but there are some horror books on my TBR, that I'm planning to read around Halloween time: Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix, His Bloody Project by Graeme Burnet, Mischling by Affinity Konar, and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

With November, it's time for bonfire night and fireworks displays.  What's the most exciting book you've read that really kept you gripped?


Sadly, the US doesn't have any pyrotechnic-forward holidays in autumn. Although. a celebration called Bonfire Night sounds like something I could get behind! I guess I'll have to get my excitement from books.  A lot of the "excitement" recently has come from poetry books like Mother Was a Freedom Fighter by Aja Monet, Voyage of the Sable Venus by Robin Coste Lewis, and Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude by Ross Gay - poets who break the heart and enliven the spirit with their work.

What book is your favorite cozy, comfort read?


I love revisiting favorite classics like Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, but also more modern books including Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson, The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield, and Parnassus On Wheels by Christopher Morley.

Curled up with a good book, what is your hot drink of choice?

I'm a hot drink aficionado, and what I choose to drink depends slightly on the weather and mostly on my mood.  I'm also not terribly sensitive to caffeine, so I can drink coffee/tea any time of day or night and have no issues with sleeping.

Early in the morning, it's usually either a cappuccino from my Nespresso machine, or steamed milk with Earl Grey tea (London Fog) or with stovetop espresso from my Moka pot. In the afternoon and evening, I generally reach for tea (masala chai and cream earl grey are my favorites, with just a splash of milk) or French Press coffee. A hot drink in the evening might be hot (spiced) apple cider, herbal tea, or (if I'm having an exciting night in) a hot toddy like warmed whisky or hot buttered rum.  Mmmmmm....

What plans are you looking forward to over the next few months?


Next month, my partner and I will be spending our 6th wedding anniversary in California - San Francisco and wine country - which is very exciting!  He's not much of a reader, but is good-natured about my love of bookstore tourism.  I'm hoping to visit City Lights when we're in the city, and one of the Copperfield's bookstores when we're up in Napa/Sonoma/Russian River Valley.


And that's it for the Autumn Reading tag.  If you'd like to do this one, consider yourself tagged!  Happy autumn, everyone!



Librorum annis,